International Student Checklist
Before You Register
Research the courses you would like to take from the Online Schedule of Classes.
- Note the Course Control Number (CCN; 5-digit number associated with each course) for the courses of your choice.
- Read the sections on our website on Fees, Refund Policy, Deadlines and Academic Policies.
- Read the information regarding the English Proficiency Requirement.
- Read the section on Visa Information.
- Start the registration process (beginning February 16, 2016), enroll in full-time units and pay the full fee with a credit card.
- Please note that changing your class schedule after your I-20 has been issued may invalidate your I-20. You will not be able to enter the US if the start-date on your I-20 does not match your Summer Session start-date. Contact Summer Sessions before making any changes to your schedule.
After You Register
- Once you are registered, you will receive your UC Berkeley student ID number (SID) and personal identification number (PIN). This information is emailed to you, password protected, to the email address you provided on your application. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive the email within a week.
- Create CalNet ID and establish passphrase.
- Log in to MySummer to upload the English proficiency exam score, along with the required documents for a Certificate of Eligibility if you requested it on the application.
- Receive your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) document.
- Pay your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Fee on the SEVIS fee processing website.
- Make an appointment with a US Embassy or Consulate in your area to apply for a F-1 or J-1 visa stamp.
Before You Arrive at UC Berkeley
After You Arrive at UC Berkeley
Check into your summer housing and obtain the complete address of your local residence.
- Attend your first classes.
- Buy textbooks.
- Complete the mandatory Online Document Check process.
- Go to the Cal 1 Card Office to obtain your photo ID.
Before You Leave UC Berkeley
Confirm the grading option for your courses.
- Log in to Bear Facts and confirm any outstanding balance or available refund.
- Log in to MySummer and confirm or update your transcript address.
- Visit the Berkeley International Office and speak to an adviser if you plan to travel after your program at UC Berkeley is finished or transfer to attend another U.S. institution.