International Student Checklist

Before You Apply

After You Apply

  • Please do not submit a second application if you need to change information or feel there is a problem, as it will delay the processing of your application and may prevent you from enrolling in classes. Contact our office at if you need assistance.
  • Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email with instructions on how to activate your CalNet ID.
  • Log in to CalCentral and enroll in full-time units and pay the full fee with a credit card.
  • Log in to CalCentral and submit the International VSIS form (I-20 request).
  • In CalCentral follow instructions to upload your photo in order to be issued a Cal 1 Card. Your Cal 1 Card is your official campus photo identification.
  • Log in to your Cal 1 Card account and review/accept the agreement for the Clipper Card. The Clipper Card allows you to access the Class Pass for unlimited ridership privileges on AC Transit bus lines.
  • Receive your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) document.
  • Pay your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Fee on the SEVIS fee processing website.
  • Make an appointment with a US Embassy or Consulate in your area to apply for a F-1 or J-1 visa stamp.
    - Please note that changing your class schedule after your I-20 has been issued may invalidate your I-20. You will not be able to enter the US if the start-date on your I-20 does not match your Summer Session start-date. Contact Summer Sessions before making any changes to your schedule.

Before You Arrive at UC Berkeley

After You Arrive at UC Berkeley

Before You Leave UC Berkeley

  • Confirm the grading option for your courses.
  • Log in to CalCentral and confirm any outstanding balance or available refund.
  • Visit the Berkeley International Office and speak to an adviser if you plan to travel after your program at UC Berkeley is finished or transfer to attend another U.S. institution.