Refund Policy


When are refunds generated?

Refunds are generated by the Billing and Payment Services office after a student drops a course or cancels/withdraws from Berkeley Summer Sessions before the published deadlines for refund. Please note that if you have any outstanding debts to the University (including fall or spring fees, printing fees, Course Material Fees, library fines, or emergency loans), your refund will be applied first to the debt.

All students should check their billing information, including most up-to-date information on outstanding balance or available refund, by logging on to CalCentral.

Refund from Credit Card Payments
If your fees have been paid with a credit card, and you are eligible to receive refund, you will receive a refund back to your credit card approximately within 30 days from the date you drop a course or cancel/withdraw from Berkeley Summer Sessions. Once a credit card refund has been processed, you will receive a notification of the refund to the email address you provided at the time of your registration. If the credit card refund cannot be processed, you will receive a refund check (please see "Refund from Non-Credit Card Payments").

Refund from Non-Credit Card Payments
If your fees have been paid with a method other than a credit card (check, money order, electronic check, bank wire, etc.), and you are eligible to receive a refund, it takes 30 days from the date the payment was originally received for a refund to be issued. For secure and timely delivery of refunds, students are strongly encouraged to sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to expedite receipt of their refunds and to avoid problems with returned mail due to an outdated address. Please note that only UC Berkeley students are eligible for EFT. Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions for EFT on the Billing & Payment Services website for more information.

If EFT is not activated, a refund check is issued in 30 days, and you will receive an email notification that the refund check is held for pick up at Cal Student Central, located at 120 Sproul Hall. Checks not picked up within 21 days will be mailed to the local address on file in CalCentral. Make sure your local address is current in CalCentral to avoid delays in payment and problems with returned mail due to an outdated address. If your bill is past due, or there are problems with your registration for the term of the refund, EFT will be superseded, and a check will be printed.


If You Cancel Your Summer Sessions Registration

(Deadline to Cancel Registration)

UC and Domestic student infoUC students and domestic visiting students will receive a refund of all fees, minus the Cancellation Fee, if fees have already been paid in full. If no payment has been made, all Summer Sessions fees will be removed from CalCentral, but you will be assessed the non-refundable Cancellation Fee. If Financial Aid paid your fees, you will not receive a refund, and you will be assessed the Cancellation Fee.

International student infoVisiting international students should see the International Students page on registration and fees for information about refunds.


If You Withdraw From Your Summer Sessions Registration

(Deadline to Withdraw With or Without Refund)

The non-refundable Withdrawal Processing Fee is $426 (plus Class Pass and/or Document Management Fee, if applicable) for UC students, $435 for U.S. visiting students, and $735 for visiting international students. Refund for the course fee will be determined based on the deadline to receive a refund for each class.


If Your Course is Canceled

Although very few courses are cancelled, Berkeley Summer Sessions reserves the right to cancel a course if it has not enrolled enough students before the beginning of the course's instruction. The sponsoring academic department may also cancel courses based on their internal criteria. In the case of course cancellation, all enrolled students are notified by email and given a full refund of the course fee or credit towards another course.

If the cancelled course is your only course:
If the only course you were taking was cancelled, and you do not want to take another course in its place, you will need to cancel your Summer Sessions registration by the cancellation deadline. If you cancel your registration because your only course has been cancelled, please notify us to request that the Cancellation Fee be waived.


Summer Tuition Credit

If you drop a course after the deadline to drop for refund but before the deadline to drop, you will NOT receive a cash refund, but you will have summer tuition credit you may apply toward any course you subsequently add in the Summer 2017 term. Summer tuition credits cannot be applied towards previously added courses, nor can it be transferred to another terms at the University. If a course added using summer tuition credit is dropped, you will not receive a refund, or you will owe the fees for the original course(s) dropped after the refund deadline. Summer tuition credit is not available for courses dropped via petition (after the deadline).


Refund Appeals

We understand that situations occur that may prevent you from attending or completing Summer Sessions courses. If you need to drop or withdraw from Berkeley Summer Sessions after the refund deadline, there are procedures in place for requesting an appeal to the refund policy.

Please note that Summer 2017 refund appeals will NOT be accepted after September 22, 2017. There will be no acceptance, consideration, or adjudication for refund appeals older than summer 2016 due to legacy system shutdown.

All refund appeals require a signed letter of explanation, and supporting documentation. You should state, as concisely and clearly as possible, the reason for this appeal. The appeal letter is limited to one page, and it must be written and signed by the student. The letter should also include your current email and postal address so that we can notify you of the decision on the appeal.

If you have not already dropped a course or withdrawn, you must submit the Petition to Change Class Schedule Form. Additional approval(s) may be needed in order to process the request.

We honor the confidentiality of all supporting documentation, as well as your overall student records.

NOTE: THE APPEAL DECISION IS FINAL. It is essential to disclose all information, reasons for appeal, and all supporting documentation regarding your case in the initial appeal letter. Subsequent appeal letters providing new information, different reasons for appeal, or new supporting documentation are not eligible for review.

Required Documentation for the Most Common Appeals

For a medical problem, we require verification of the severity of the condition (verification of how the condition affects your ability to perform university level coursework), not a detailed description of the condition itself. We require a letter, typed on official letterhead, from the physician or other personal healthcare provider, or the form used by the Tang Center at UC Berkeley. The letter must be signed and delivered/mailed in a sealed envelope. Emails or unsigned letters on plain stationery are not acceptable.

Death in the Family
We require a copy of death certificate (or verification of death from the hospital or attending physician), and the deceased's relation to the student.

How to Submit
In person at Cal Student Central (120 Sproul Hall)

Mail to:
Refunds: Summer Sessions
Cal Student Central
120 Sproul Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-5404


Refunds for Special Programs

Students participating in a special program offered by Berkeley Summer Sessions, such as Summer Abroad or Global Internships programs, must follow the policies and procedures published on their respective sections. Please refer to the policies for Summer Abroad and Global Internships for more information. Students participating in the College of Environmental Design's Summer Institute, embARC Summer Design Academy, or Disc* programs must follow the policies and procedures published by the CED.