The English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)

The English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) is to evaluate the English language proficiency of students whose native language is not English and who want to enroll in Berkeley Summer Sessions courses with subjects other than English as a Second Language (ESL). All students from countries in which the official language is not English are required to submit official evidence of English language proficiency.

Acceptable English Proficiency Exams

Results from the following exams, taken within the last three years, are acceptable to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement.

The following scores indicate the required level of proficiency:

Acceptable Test Minimum Score
CEFR*: B2, C1, C2
CET-4 (China) 493
CET-6 450
Computer-based TOEFL: 213
GEPT High intermediate
GRE (Verbal score) 140 - for tests taken after Aug 1, 2011
IELTS: 6.5
Internet-based TOEFL: 80
iTEP: Level 5
Paper-based TOEFL: 600
TEM 70
TOEIC: 685

*CFER comparison score provided on other tests, such as IELTS, will not be considered unless the overall score of the test meets the minimum requirement.


You are exempt from the English Proficiency Requirement

Requesting Waivers

You may request a waiver to the English Proficiency Requirement if any of the following criteria apply:

  1. You reside in a country where English is the primary or official language, and that country is not on our List of Exempt Countries.
  2. You currently attend a school where English is the language of instruction for the majority of courses taught.
  3. You have attended schools at the secondary level (high school) or above for at least three years full-time where English is the principal language of instruction (as in the United States, the United Kingdom, and in some international schools).
  4. You are currently studying or have studied in an English-speaking country for at least one academic year.
  5. Your school official can certify your English proficiency based on their own criteria.

If you would like to request a waiver, please see the Procedure for Requesting a Waiver.

Please Note: Waivers will be considered only after the student has registered. If the waiver is denied, the student may still submit an English proficiency exam score from any of the acceptable exams listed above or enroll in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses only. Students who cancel their registration due to waiver denials are still obligated to pay the Cancellation Fee.

How to Submit English Proficiency Requirement Documentation

All documentation for the English Proficiency Requirement, including exam scores, waiver requests and transcripts, are submitted through CalCentral.