Enrollment Changes for International Students

Enrollment changes are made in CalCentral.

Full-time Enrollment Requirement: For F-1 visa purposes, visiting international students with a summer I-20 from UC Berkeley are required to maintain full-time enrollment for the entire duration of their summer session(s). You can see the full-time requirements, as well as examples, at the International Office website. If for any reason you need to drop below full-time enrollment, please speak with an advisor at Berkeley International Office as soon as possible and before dropping any unit(s).

Adding Classes

If you wish to add or enroll in a class after instruction has begun, it is strongly recommended that you attend the class and speak with the instructor first. While the deadline to add/enroll in classes is two weeks after the start of a session, it is not a guarantee that you can successfully complete the coursework.

Log in to CalCentral and select Add function from the Class Enrollment card under My Academics.

Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Once class enrollment reaches its limit, a waitlist is opened. Students on most waitlists are automatically enrolled in order as space becomes available. Waitlisted course units do not count towards the full-time enrollment requirement.

Notification about the change in waitlist position is sent to berkeley.edu account. It is strongly encouraged that forwarding is set up from berkeley.edu account to an email account you check daily so that you do not miss the waitlist notification.

Swapping Classes

Swap function can be used to drop one class and simultaneously add another. By swapping, rather than dropping then adding, you ensure you keep your original enrollment until your enrollment in the new class is confirmed.

If you are enrolled in only one class, you must use Swap function to switch to another class, or add the new class first then drop. If you are swapping classes after the refund deadline has passed, you must use Swap function, or add then drop on the same day in order to ensure summer tuition credit is properly applied.

Scheduling Conflict

You are responsible for your enrollment decisions. Time conflicts should be avoided and you should not expect instructors to routinely accommodate time conflicts in your class schedule. When attempting to add classes with a time conflict, you may or may not be able to add them depending on each class’s attribute. If you are able to enroll in classes with a time conflict, you must resolve the time conflict by changing your schedule before instruction begins. Students are encouraged to use Swap function when adding to the waitlist for a class that conflicts with an enrolled class. For additional information, please refer to the enrollment FAQ.

Dropping Classes

You are responsible for dropping any or all classes you do not wish to attend before the drop for refund deadline to prevent being charged for the dropped class. Students are not automatically dropped from a class for failure to attend.

Log in to CalCentral and select Drop function in the Class Enrollment card under My Academics.

If you are dropping all classes in all sessions (you no longer want to attend Summer Sessions), see below for Dropping All Classes, Canceling and Withdrawing.

Dropping All Classes (Canceling and Withdrawing)

Deadline to Cancel

Cancellation means dropping all classes in all sessions before the cancellation deadline of your first session. You will be charged the Cancellation Fee and the International Service Fee may not be refunded.

Withdrawal means dropping all classes in all sessions after the cancellation deadline of your first session. Per-unit charges may be refunded if classes are dropped before the refund deadline, but all other fees become non-refundable. Please see our Fees page for the list of the non-unit fees. International students who cancel or withdraw after arriving in the U.S. will lose their legal status.

How to Cancel or Withdraw

Log in to CalCentral and select “Add a Withdrawal Request” in the Student Resources section under My Dashboard.

You can:

  • Use Drop function in the Class Enrollment card under My Academics to drop all your classes except one (you will not be able to drop your last class), then submit a Withdrawal Request to drop the last class, or
  • Submit a Withdrawal Request to drop all classes in one session. Please note if you are enrolled in multiple sessions, you must submit one Withdrawal Request per session in order to drop all classes in all sessions.

If you made a mistake or changed your mind and need to re-enroll in classes, please contact Summer Sessions.

Changing Grading Options

Select the grading option for each class when you enroll. You may change your initial grading option any time before the posted deadlines in CalCentral.

Available Grading Options

  • - Letter Grade (A,B,C,D,F)
  • - Passed/Not Passed (P/NP)
  • - Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)

Letter Grade
This is the standard grading option. Letter-graded courses are generally acceptable for transfer credits at other universities.

Passed/Not Passed
Grading option for undergraduate-level students (those without BA/BS equivalent), including high school students. A C- or better is considered passing.

Grading option for graduate-level students (those with BA/BS equivalent), including recent graduates of college not in a graduate school. A B- or better is considered passing.

Most universities will not accept P/NP or S/U work for transfer credit. Please consult the appropriate office at your home campus or university before selecting this option.