Campanile Tower

International Students Visa Information

As a visiting international student, you may need an F-1 student visa to enter the United States to participate in Berkeley Summer Sessions. If this applies to you, International Student Services (ISS) will provide you with the supporting documentation you need to apply for this visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country.


ISS can neither advise nor assist students who choose to enter the United States using B1/B2 Visitor Visas or the Visa Waiver Program (VWP/ESTA). Study restrictions apply to both. All international students are strongly encouraged to obtain F-1 student visa status.


Important: International Student Services for Summer Sessions provides visa services for visiting students only. If you are a current, future, or returning degree-seeking student at UC Berkeley and you have any questions about your visa status during the summer, please contact the Berkeley International Office (BIO).