Before You Opt-In:
1. Be sure of your admittance and accept your offer of admission to UC Berkeley.
2. Carefully read the Freshman Edge website and pay special attention to the fees and financial aid sections. Read the Deadlines, Refund Policy, and Academic Policies sections of this website.
3. Make sure you apply for BOTH the 2019-2020 AND 2020-2021 FAFSA or the California Dream Act by the designated deadlines.
4. Enter UC Berkeley's school code 001312 on each FAFSA or Dream Act application. Review your messages in Cal Central for more information about your financial aid eligibility. For general information about the types of aid available, visit the Financial Aid.
5. Review UC Berkeley's general undergraduate graduation requirements so you are aware of what classes you need in order to graduate.
6. Review the Courses tab on the Freshman Edge website for guidelines on selecting courses. Explore courses on the Berkeley Academic Guide (https://classes.berkeley.edu/), where you can filter results by Session, Major, and Breadth Requirements.
7. Remember when selecting courses, that, in order to be eligible for summer financial aid, you are required to take at least six units.
8. Pick back-up classes in case the ones you want are full.
9. Note the Course Number (5-digit number associated with each course) and the number of units for each course you would like to take.
10. If you have questions regarding which class(es) to take and other academic matters, we strongly recommend you contact your specific college advisor to ensure you enroll in the appropriate course(s)
1. Eligible students who have been admitted to UC Berkeley can register for Freshman Edge through their CalCentral My Dashboard page under the Notifications card
After You Opt-In:
1. After opting into Freshman Edge, your summer enrollment card in CalCentral will be activated within 24-48 hours. To check if your summer enrollment has been activated, log onto the My Academics page of your Cal Central account and see if the summer term appears. Once your summer enrollment card appears, you will be able to log into Cal Central and register for courses.
2. You will receive a bill for your summer fees that will appear on your CalCentral My Finances tab under Billing Summary.
3. You will have the option of living in the residence halls or your own accommodations during summer. Housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. To reserve a space in the residence halls, you must complete the online Summer Sessions Residence Hall Housing Application as soon as possible.
4. Attend Summer Edge Program Welcome.
5. Begin classes and enjoy the extra-curricular activities!